Thursday, October 16, 2008

We have a discharge date!

They are letting him out next Tuesday Oct. 21st. Our family has a lot of brainstorming ahead of us this weekend.

He will still need 24hr care. They are releasing him because he is making great physical progress and they have decided that the referred doctor can continue to help him with outpatient sessions regarding his memory issues. The 24hr care is needed because he still has some balance issues and could fall at any time. I don't know how long that will be a problem for him.

I have just realized today that I never posted the actual diagnosis of his condition. I only learned it myself recently. It is called Wernicke's Encephalopathy. Below is a link that explains what that means. With the information that I have read and been told by his doctors, his mental disorder may be permanent.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000771.htm

I believe that if he stays dedicated to recovery that he will continue to get stronger physically. That would be great.

I am going to ask all of you to help my family...If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, advice on where he should be placed (short and/or long term) please post a comment or email me directly. I am researching for short term care either at a nursing home or a full time live in care taker. Long term...who knows! Any referrals or opinions are welcome. We want to make the best decision for his care, but we don't have many days for thorough research.

I have started the process the get him Social Security Disability. Is that all I should be doing? Any legal/government advice from anyone?

Thank you to everyone for all of your help and support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Capitol Metrpo has services to assist in getting your Dad to Dr appts or Therapy appts when someone is not available to drive him:
http://www.capmetro.org/riding/accessibleservices.asp

This link has more information.

I am glad to hear of the progress. If anything else comes to mind I will let you know.

Thoughts and Prayers, Rita D